GROWing sustainable communities through housing, community and economic development.
For more than 45 years northeast South Dakota counties have been served by GROW South Dakota and its community action programs – the Northeast South Dakota Community Action Program (NESDCAP) and the Northeast South Dakota Economic Corporation (NESDEC). In 2012 the decision was made to unite the three initiatives: housing, community and economic development, in name and logo, to be recognized as GROW South Dakota.
GROW South Dakota strives to improve the quality of life through housing, community and economic development in communities throughout South Dakota – see GROW SD brochure.
HOUSING DEVELOPMENT - see GROW South Dakota Housing Programs
- GROW South Dakota owns and manages apartment buildings that provide subsidized rent for tenants (USDA Rural Development and HUD)
- Assists individuals with installation of energy efficient measures in their homes
- Offers forgivable loans to make one major home repair through the Federal Home Loan Bank Affordable Housing Program
- Offers low interest loans for non cosmetic home improvements and repairs
- Provides loans for primary home ownership
- Offers individual and group homeownership education
- Provides housing loan prequalification
- Packages 502 Direct Loans for USDA Rural Development
- Offers down-payment or closing cost assistance of up to $1,000 to purchase a home
- Markets the pre-built, energy efficient, Governors Homes built by penitentiary inmates.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT - see GROW South Dakota Community Programs
- Provides free basic income tax return preparation to individuals with low or limited incomes
- Provides financial assistance to individuals who are unable to pay for rent, utilities, or other basic emergency needs
- Provides monthly food boxes to the elderly
- Offers technical and financial assistance to economic development organizations in rural communities
- Provides counseling services for personal finances and homebuyer education
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - see GROW South Dakota Economic Development Programs
- Affordable business financing is available to purchase inventory, equipment or real estate
- Hosts the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that offers no cost confidential business management consulting services like developing a business plans and preparing financial projections
- 145 apartment units are managed or owned by GROW South Dakota in rural communities providing subsidized rent to low-income tenants.
- Annually, approximately 450 households receive weatherization, forgivable home loans or low-interest loans for home improvements and/or home purchase.
- Annually, approximately 1,000 tax returns are prepared for free and capture total federal refunds of $1.5 million
- Annually, approximately 200 households receive emergency assistance and 15,000 pounds of food.
- Annually, approximately 75 businesses receive affordable financing to start or grow a small business which injects nearly $3 million of lending capital into our rural economy. These businesses help to retain or create an average of 300 jobs annually
Lori Finnesand, CEO of Economic & Community Development
Marcia Erickson, CEO of Housing