Iowa Community Action Association
ICAA Board Training Curriculum
The Iowa Community Action Association developed this training to benefit Iowa's local community action agencies. The material can be adapted for use by CAAs in other states. The curriculum can be broken into several short trainings ranging from 15 – 30 minutes each or can be presented all at once at one half day board retreat. ICAA staff believes the best process is to present the information in two 1½ hour segments.
A DVD is available, which includes PowerPoint presentations for each of the three sections of the training. If you are interested in further information or material, please contact Tiffany Keimig, Training Director, Iowa Community Action Association, 515.244.0320
Table of Contents
- What Are Community Action Agencies (CAAs)?
- Why Does Community Action Care About ARRA?
- What Are Community Action Basics?
- How Are We Connected As A Network?
- What Is Results Oriented Management & Accountability (ROMA)?
- What Types Of Programs Does Community Action Offer?
- What Are Federal Poverty Guidelines?
- What Principles Of Governance Do Exceptional Boards Demonstrate When Overseeing A Local Agency?
- What Is Considered An Effective Committee Structure?
- What Are Parliamentary Procedures?
- What Does The Iowa Attorney General Say About Nonprofit Oversight?
- What Role Do I Play As A Member Of This Board?
- What Are My Rights & Responsibilities As A Board Member?
- What Is The Best Way To Evaluate Board Performance?
- Sample Annual Board Evaluation
- Sample Board Member Self-Appraisal Form
- As A Board of Directors What Standards Should We Practice?
- Sample Agency Board of Directors Job Description
- What Expectations Does The Board and Executive Director Have For One Another?
- How Do I Provide Effective Oversight Of The Agency’s Financial Management?
- Financial Records
- Budget & Financial Performance
- Loans to Directors, Officers or Trustees
- Resource Allocation for Programs & Administration
- Travel & Other Expense Policies Related Principles
- What Online Resources Would Be Helpful To A Community Action Agency Board?
Appendix A: Community Action Alphabet Soup Blackout Bingo
Appendix B: Do You Know Your Community Action History?
Appendix C: Parliamentary Procedures Quiz: How Do I?
Appendix D: Mission Statement Activity