New York State Community Action Association
NYSCAA newsletter – October 2021
See newsletter for full stories
A Word from NYSCAA’s CEO
Read about changes in leadership at several NY CAAs and wrap-up from the 2021 NYSCAA and NYSWDA Annual Conference.
- Community Action Partnership for Dutchess County, Inc (CAPDC) named "Nonprofit of the Year" by Think Dutchess Alliance for Business!
- Economic Opportunity Council of Suffolk, Inc (EOC) Discusses Community Programs on the Local Radio and Hosts Events Celebrating National Coming Out Day and Women Veterans
- Regional Economic Community Action Program Inc. (RECAP) Raising Money on the Green at their Annual Golf Tournament
MYTH: It would be expensive to hire people with disabilities. - FALSE!
Fact: According to an updated study by the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), the employers participating in this survey reported 56% of accommodations cost absolutely nothing to implement, while the rest of the accommodations made had a typical cost of only $500.
In honor of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, it's important to discuss the intersection of poverty and disability. Employment is an empowering step towards financial independence for those seeking reasonable accommodations and over the many years of JAN surveys, the results have consistently shown that the benefits these employers reported they received from making workplace accommodations far outweigh the associated costs...
- Celebrating 45 Years of the Weatherization Assistance Program (Oct. 28 virtual event – view video), NASCSP
- CSBG T/TA Resource Center, Community Action Partnership
- COVID Resources webpage and COVID-19 Resource Series in Spanish
- Resource Library, New from CAPLAW
- All a-Board! The Purpose, People, and Process of CAA Boards, Free video series from CAPLAW
See newsletter for listings
- New Cybersecurity Self-Assessment, Webinar recording from Community IT
- Leading with Intent, BoardSource Index of Nonprofit Board Practices
- Statewide LMI Portfolio, NYSERDA webinar (Nov. 17)
- Head Start/Early Head Start Regulation Boot Camp, Wipfli (Oct. 16-18)