Community Action Association of Pennsylvania
CAAP Update – September 2021
See newsletter for full articles
Reauthorizes the CSBG Act for 10 Years: The Longest Reauthorization in CSBG History
After seven intense months of negotiation by NCAF, last week they announced the most important Community Services Block Grant legislation in over 20 years. When it is enacted, the Community Action network's place in our country's domestic agenda will be secure. It will be a long, hard road for enactment, but rewarding beyond imagination – read NCAF's full announcement.
Community Partnerships: The Workforce Initiative Program
This year, the Agency for Community Empowerment of NEPA (ACE; formally Scranton-Lackawanna Human Development Agency (SLHDA), launched the Workforce Initiative Program, designed to administer job training services to residents over the age of 18 and living at or below 200% of the federal poverty line. The newly created Workforce Initiative Program is designed to help provide the resources families need to become self-sufficient. The program helps with child-care (through HS/HS/CCP), transportation, rental and utility assistance, City of Scranton trash fees, State background clearances, workforce training, digital literacy and a place to seek assistance in order to gain employment...
The Scranton Area Community Foundation and Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) to ACE made the program possible.
- CAAP DEI Virtual Event: A Community Action Conversation, Sept. 28
- CAAP Self-Sufficiency Awards to be presented on November 4th in a virtual ceremony
- PA LIHEAP State Plan approved by ACF
- Bucks County Opportunity Council voted Best Charity in Bucks County for the third time
- PA Heat by PA DHS is a new resource that may be helpful to CAAs when looking at Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) and community level needs
- HHS COVID-19 Resources
- The Child Tax Credit Spanish & English Resources from NCAP and the IRS
- 2021 NASCSP Annual Training Conference, Sept. 20-23
- 2021 NCAF Conference, Sept. 27 & 28, Oct. 4 & 5
- Strategic Planning and Goal Creation, Management Track, Sept. 2
- Creating Effective Minutes, Governance Track, Sept. 9
- Audits: Preparation, Remote Best Practices and Compliance, Fiscal Track, Sept. 16
- Managing Employee Mental Health Issues, Human Resources, Sept. 23
- Engaging Youth in Vulnerable Populations, Equity and Inclusion, Sept. 27s