Community Action Association of Pennsylvania
CAAP Update – August 2021
See newsletter for full articles
CAAP Will Help You Promote Your Change
Last month, Scranton-Lackawanna Human Development Agency, Inc. (SLHDA) changed their name to Agency for Community EmPOWERment of NEPA.
The Agency has 56 years of service experience as the region's Community Action Agency and Head Start provider but they often get mistaken as a government agency of the City of Scranton or Lackawanna County. It became apparent that SLHDA was no longer connecting to the public as it did since its incorporation in 1965. A new name and logo was passed to help strengthen their identity. The new mission statement is:
"To empower people with the skills needed to become self-sufficient and enhance their lives through educational training, life-skills and support services."
Sometimes we can hurt or insult people without realizing it. Join CAAP this month as we explore Microaggressions and Microinsults. As we strive to become a more inclusive community, it's important that we put our biases, prejudices' and preconceived notions aside. Microinsults and Microaggressions occur when we forget to check our biases at the door. This month's DEI Quick Clip explores this topic and provides resources to help you learn more.
- CAAP DEI Virtual Event: A Community Action Conversation, Sept. 28
- CAAP Self-Sufficiency Awards to be presented on November 4th in a virtual ceremony
- PA 211 Counts for Real-Time Data: Search Data for Needs Assessments
- Out of Reach 2021 from the National Low Income Housing Coalition highlights the mismatch between the wages people earn and the price of decent rental housing in every state, metropolitan area, and county in the U.S.
- PHFA July Newsletter
- The Child Tax Credit Resources
- 2021 NASCSP Annual Training Conference, Sept. 20-23
- 2021 Annual Community Action Partnership Convention, Sept. 1-3 with pre-convention training on Aug. 30-31
- 2021 NCAF Conference, Sept. 27 & 28, Oct. 4 & 5
- CAAP Announces New Website
- Tackling Difficult Decisions. Management Track, August 5
- Is Our Strategic Plan Effective, Governance Track, August 12
- Program & Fiscal Working Together, Fiscal Track, August 19
- Barriers to Economic Opportunity (suburban, rural & urban), Equity and Inclusion, August 27