New York State Community Action Association
See newsletter for full story on each of these items
A Word from NYSCAA’s CEO
Looking ahead to NYSCAA's 2021 Annual Conference being held in coordination with the NYS Weatherization Directors Association on Oct. 6, 12 & 14. Congratulations on 2021 Women of Excellence Organizational Impact Award from the NY Dept. of State received by Jessica Lowell in the Div. of Community Services.
2021 New York State Poverty Report
We are pleased to present our newly updated online edition of the New York State Poverty Report! The report provides a statewide look at poverty. This tool is a comprehensive resource for New York State’s Community Action Agencies (CAAs), community-based organizations, policymakers, advocates, community coalitions, and the general public. The report include:
• The New York State Poverty Profile
• US Poverty Profile
• A Comparative Look at New York's County and City Poverty Levels
• Poverty Levels for New York State's Congressional Districts
• Data Key
2021 NYSCAA Virtual Regional Meetings in Partnership with DOS
• Capital District and NYC/LI Regional Meeting, June 9
Save the Date! - NYSCAA & NYSWDA's 2021 Annual Conference
The 2021 Annual Conference will be held virtually on October 6, 12 & 14
• Community Action Programs Cayuga/Seneca - Empowering Families Through Movement
• Commission on Economic Opportunity (CEO) - Partnering with the Community to Fill the Truck!
MYTH: Impoverished Americans can rise from rags to riches with nothing but hard work. – FALSE!
FACT: Recent research indicates that there is actually less economic mobility in the United States than in the European Union or other wealthy countries.
Read about this and other myths from The Washington Post: Five Myths about Poverty.
- New CDC Guidance: Implications for CAAs, CAPLAW
- Community Action COVID-19 Response Story Templates, Community Action Partnership
- Resources to Promote the Importance of Getting Vaccinated, Community Action Partnership
See newsletter for listings
- We Can Do This, Community Corps (broad coalition to promote vaccinations)
- Emergency Broadband Benefits Program Goes Live!, Federal Communications Commission
Eligible households can enroll through an approved provider or by visiting GetEmergencyBroadband.org. The FCC has also published an EBB outreach toolkit with infographics, multilingual flyers, and FAQs.
- The Self-Sufficiency Standard for New York 2021, FPWA
- Latinos and the Nation's COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout, Kaiser Family Foundation
Also: Greater than COVID YouTube Channel – COVID Questions Answered: English and Spanish – COVID Vaccinations and Black America
- Beyond Bars: Keeping Young People Safe At Home and Out of Youth Prisons, National Collaboration for Youth
- Vaccine Central, National Resource Center for Refugees, Immigrants, and Migrants
- Scaling Up COVID-19 Prevention and Mitigation Strategies with Refugee, Immigrant, and Migrant Communities, National Resource Center for Refugees, Immigrants, and Migrants
- Coping with COVID, NY Project Hope
- Deadline for Coverage in 2021 Extended!, New York State of Health
- Avoid Scams & Fraud Targeting Older Adults, Region 2 National Preparedness Division, May 27
- Stronger to Serve 2021 Wipfli Virtual Training Experience, Wipfli, July 26-30