Connecticut Association for Community Action
Connecticut’s Community Action Agencies (CAAs) are providing free tax preparation services to eligible individuals and families across the state through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA is available for residents with low to moderate incomes, persons with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance preparing and filing their tax returns. Last year, over 10,000 people filed their tax returns at CAAs.
Connecticut's Energy Assistance Program is administered through local Community Action Agencies. The application deadline has been extended to June 15, 2021.
- CRT’s RSVP Volunteer Medical Transportation Program offers free roundtrip rides to medical appointments for seniors and veterans
- Alliance for Community Empowerment opens new site
- Valley Residents Detail Housing Troubles During Team Inc Forum (Jean Falbo-Sosnovich, Valley Independent, 4/13/21)
- Pew report: CT still lagging most states in personal income growth (Keith Phaneuf, CT Mirror, 5/3/21)
- Deadly air pollutant ‘disproportionately and systematically’ harms Americans of color, study finds (Juliet Eilperin and Darryl Fears, Washington Post, 4/28/21)
- Legislative panel: Racism a public health crisis (Christopher Keating, Hartford Courant, 4/22/21)
- State Treasurer proposes bill to invest in children born into poverty in CT (Dennis Valera, WFSB, 4/19/21)
- Connecticut Employers Struggle With Child Care Crisis (Christine Stuart, CT News Junkie, 4/14/21)
- Long lines for free food persist more than a year into the pandemic, causing concern among advocates (Jacqueline Rabe Thomas, CT Mirror, 4/12/21)
See newsletter for listings