North Carolina Community Action Association
NC Empowered – May 2021
See newsletter for complete articles
This May, we're celebrating Community Action Month with an Equity Starts Here challenge. This educational initiative will help participants understand equity, how it applies to their lives and how to create more equitable families and communities. Participants will receive daily emails with reading or watching material and discussion questions. Help us build more equitable communities and celebrate the work our network has already done by joining our challenge!
Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission answers the need for COVID-19 Emergency Assistance – read NCCAA's posting.
- Job openings at Experiment in Self- Reliance, Inc.
- NCCAA files trademark for The Big Pop Up™
- Justice Series: United for Johnston County (video featuring Johnston Lee Harnett Community Action), United Way of the Greater Triangle
- Amazon Distribution through NCCAA
- Reentry Month Celebrates a Second Chance, NEW Reentry Council
- NC Community Action Association Receiving Bike Helmets for Children, NC Dept. of Transportation
- NCCAA partners with United Way on Ride United program to provide free roundtrip transportation to COVID-19 vaccine appointments
- Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity Inc Hosted Informational Webinar About COVID-19 Vaccine (unmute if needed)
- Scouts Collect Food for Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission, Wilkes Journal-Patriot
- NEW Grounds Coffee – Sales provide financial support and training opportunities for re-entry efforts across North Carolina.
Social Determinants of Health: Combatting Toxic Stress
Combatting Toxic Stress to Ensure Successful Youth
According to 2019 U.S. Census Bureau data, more than one in five, or roughly 500,000 children in North Carolina live in poverty. The state’s poverty rate for children under the age of five was even higher, at 22%…
NCCAA Shout Outs
Nancy Lookabill who was hired in 1966 as a bookkeeper/secretary and became WAMY's Finance Officer in 1974 until her retirement – read more.
See newsletter for listing under each section
- COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, FEMA
- Clifbar Family Foundation - Small Grants, June 1 deadline
- Advocacy Grants Program – Promoting Policy Change, Drug Policy Alliance
- Zayed Sustainability Prize: Health, Food, Energy, Food, May 6 deadline