North Carolina Community Action Association
NC Empowered – April 2021
See newsletter for complete articles
2021 NCCAA Annual Conference (virtual)
This year’s theme – Equity Starts Here – will be reflected in the panel discussions, presentations and workshops over the four-day event.
Dr. Mandy Cohen, Secretary of NC HHS leading the state’s COVID-19 response
Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action Agency provides assistance through the NCCAA and BC/BC of NC’s Healthy Homes Initiative to provide home repairs that literally change a woman’s life – read Brenda’s Success Story: More at Home Than Ever.
- Anti-Poverty Advocates Rejoice Over New Child Tax Credit, Indy Week
- WAGES Honored with 2020 Spirit of North Carolina Award, United Way of Wayne County
- More than 40,000 Amazon products distributed through NCCAA in partnership with Good360 and Garner
- Community Solar Policy Update: States Exploring Low-Income Access and New Program Models
- NC Community Action Association Receiving Bike Helmets for Children, WNCT
- Nash-Edgecombe Economic Development Inc (NEED) Provides Rental Assistance, WRAL
- Informational Webinar About COVID-19 Vaccine (Zoom video), Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity Inc.
- Scouts Collect Food for Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission, Wilkes Journal-Pilot
- NEW Grounds Coffee – Sales provide financial support and training opportunities for re-entry efforts across North Carolina.
Social Determinants of Health: Food Insecurity
The COVID-19 Pandemic Has Created More Hungry Families in North Carolina
COVID-19 created a global pandemic that killed millions of people worldwide. As horrifying as that reality is, the pandemic’s true impact is even more far-reaching. Now, as North Carolina schools return to in-person instruction, businesses reopen and employees get back to their offices, a ‘return to normal’ still carries the residual impact of the past year…
NCCAA Shout Outs
WAMY Program Coordinator Bobbie Willard worked for more than 13 years as a case manager at WAMY has also served on the WAMY Board of Directors for many years and has been a partner for the after-school program for many years.
See newsletter for listing under each section
- The Art of Giving
- Charles M. and Mary D. Grant Foundation (southeastern U.S.), April 30 deadline
- Advocacy Grants Program – Promoting Policy Change (May 15 deadline), Drug Policy Alliance
- Zayed Sustainability Prize: Health, Food, Energy, Food, May 6 deadline