Massachusetts Association for Community Action
Road to Opportunity: Finding the Way Forward
March 11, 2021
- The effects of the pandemic continue to compound the needs of the people we serve – people living with low income, diverse populations, marginalized communities, and people of color - as well as many families seeking help for the first time.
- The programs we run and services we provide are even more important now to help stabilize lives.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites not only provide free tax prep safely (virtual and drop off programs), but also provide access to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) as well as other tax credits.
- Heating Help is Here keeping people safe, warm and healthy in their homes. Agencies stand ready to help now, preventing termination later.
The state funding for policy and programs is crucial in finding the way forward in Massachusetts, especially now when so many are being negatively impacted by COVID-19.
Please join us in supporting our TOP FY22 Priorities that will strengthen our social safety net now and into the future.
Strengthening Critical Human Services Infrastructure
- Address inequality, promote opportunity and end poverty by supporting Community Action Agencies (7002-0025) - $5M
- Commission to Address Inequality, Create Opportunity, and End Poverty (HD3821/SD1032)
Strengthening Families through Affordable and Accessible Early Education and Care
- Support Early Education Teacher Salary Line Item (3000-1042) - $20M
- Support Parent Fee Fund (3000-1044) - $40M
- Support Budget Stabilization Reserve (3000-1045) - $25M
- Support Head Start Line Item (3000-5000) - $15M
- Support Child Care Resource Referral Access Management in Early Education Program (3000-2000) – $11.1M
Bridging the Wage Gap
- Increase Resources for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) (1201-0100) - $1M
- Expand and Increase State Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) from 30 to 50% of Federal
- Learn more at www.masscap.org/freetaxprep
Creating a Foundation for Economic Opportunity
- Contingency Fuel Assistance Fund for FY21 Supplemental - $20M
- Add State Fuel Assistance Line Item for FY22 - $10M
- Learn more at www.heatinghelpma.org
Nori, a single mother of three, was able to add a play space to her yard and open her own daycare business, thanks to the help she received at Making Opportunity Count's (MOC) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program – learn more about VITA
Heating Help is Here. Act Now: Get help with heating bills as well as conserving energy. Learn more at heatinghelpma.org.
Free Tax Preparation is happening now at VITA sites across the state. Learn more and find your site at masscap.org/freetaxprep.
We urge you to support the FY22 priorities so that together we can move forward on the road to opportunity. Visit our Public Policy Priorities webpage.