North Carolina Community Action Association
NC Empowered – March 2021
See newsletter for complete articles
2021 NCCAA Annual Conference (Virtual)
This year’s theme – Equity Starts Here – will be reflected in the panel discussions, presentations and workshops over the four-day event – Registration – Sponsor/Exhibitor/Ad Opportunities.
NCCAA Executive Director Sharon Goodson was recognized as the Carolina Hurricanes’ Hero of the Game. The acknowledgement was made during the teams’ Feb. 2 shootout win over the Chicago Blackhawks… “We work hard to make sure our heroes represent the great work going on in our community, agents of change and impact, and the diversity of our community,” said Jon Chase, vice president, community outreach, Carolina Hurricanes Foundation.
“We are honored to recognize a strong leader in the community with Sharon’s experience and as an agent of change during Black History Month as well. We value and realize our platform as we strive to meet our goal of Hockey is For Everyone every day, month and year. I continue to listen, learn, and fully push that representation matters, and today is an example.”
- In Memoriam: Mary Ann "Bunny” Burton Leatherwood, wife of former Western Carolina Community Action Executive Director John Leatherwood, Jr. (1968-1998)
- Registration Now Open for the March ROMA Certification Class – Limited number of scholarships for NCCAA members. Priority given to agencies without a certified ROMA implementer or trainer on staff.
Sandhill Community Action Program Entrepreneurial Program Participant Gains Blueprint for Screen Printing Business Success – read the story.
- Free Health Insurance Help Available Through Mountain Projects, The Mountaineer
- Greene Lamp Helps Single Mom Pass College And Achieve her Dream, Neuse News
- Experiment in Self-Reliance Opens New Donation Society for Donors, YES! Weekly
- Blue Ridge Community Action Highlighted for Their Work in Weatherization, WSOC
- NC Community Action Association Receiving Bike Helmets for Children, WNCT
- Nash-Edgecombe Economic Development Inc (NEED) Highlighted for Rental Assistance, WRAL
- Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity Inc Hosted Informational Webinar About COVID-19 Vaccine, FVW Facebook video
- Scouts Collect Food for Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission, Wilkes Journal-Patriot
- Greene Lamp Collects Items for the Homeless, Neuse News
Social Determinants of Health: Housing
NC Housing Eviction Protection Extended Until March 31, 2021 and More Rental Assistance Funding To Come
With many people struggling financially due to this pandemic, this Order halts evictions for nonpayment of rent. In North Carolina, an estimated 485,000 adults in rental housing reported that they are unable to pay rent and are at risk of eviction and nearly three million adults reported difficulty in covering usual household expenses, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. According to the NC Coalition to End Homelessness, evictions declined by 8.2% in NC during 2020 and attributed this reduction to the eviction moratoriums…
NCCAA Shout Outs
WAMY Housing and Energy Director, Jim Watts has been a licensed general contractor for over 40 years and is a terrific leader to our housing team!
See newsletter for listing under each section
- Garden Grant Program, Whole Kids Foundation, March 21 deadline
- Ribbon of Hope Grant, NCGSK Foundation
- Charles M. and Mary D. Grant Foundation (southeastern U.S.), April 30 deadline
- Zayed Sustainability Prize: Health, Food, Energy, Food, May 6 deadline