North Carolina Community Action Association
NC Empowered – August 2020
See newsletter for complete articles
Our statewide campaign has launched! We are thrilled to have started recording our weekly radio talk show pieces. You can listen to our show live on 92.10 on Saturdays at 9 am. Or check out our show on our Facebook page.
Want to train your new staff members, or give your current staff a professional development opportunity? Our next certification cohorts are an excellent choice for professional development and training. They come highly rated by our past participants, are 100% online, last 8 weeks and come with a university-sealed certificate.
Experiment in Self-Reliance (ESR) met Maria at the lowest poi. When sharing her story, Maria said (translated to English): “ It was a very difficult year for me, but [my Success Coach] gave me strength, made me have to believe in myself and always be persistent. The program has marked my life for the better and taught me to become a strong person with hope.”
- WAMY makes the news for their Virtual Summer Camp – High County Press article
- Bryan Duncan with I-CARE featured on NCAF's latest video
- Charlotte Area Fund's Nicholas Wharton Featured in a Local Podcast: Episode 6 "We are the 'Champions'"
- NCCAA featured in Unite Us website article on NCCARE360
- #CommunityAction Responds Survey to submit success stories during COVID-19
- Passage Home commissions mural around the 2020 Census for their building
- Join the Virtual Run Across America coordinated by Jefferson Franklin Community Action Corporation
- Coastal Community Action helped local partner provide meals to seniors – see article in NCCAA newsletter
- Welfare Reform Liaison Project highlighted in Virtual Town Hall
Social Determinants of Health*: Making Every Home a Little Safer
*Social determinants of health is a new buzz word within social services. Social determinants represent factors of our physical, emotional and social environment that have key impacts on our health. In fact, 80% of our health outcomes are determined by where we live, work and play…
This month's feature is Coastal Community Action . Coastal Community Action is one of our agencies that provides weatherization and home safety updates to North Carolinians. This work helps create safer homes, which can help reduce medical bills, accidents and safety risks…
Miana, the new Intake Coordinator at Passage Home. Miana is joining us after being a client herself. She says "I was motivated to lend my talents, skills and abilities to this organization based on my experience as an actual client with them. The programs and services that they provide assisted my children and I with overcoming various challenges, helped us attain self-sufficiency and become once again, whole. I am excited to assist Passage Home with the furtherance of its mission, which I know first-hand has the potential to change lives." Her personal experience is going to make her a valuable member of the Passage Home team, and our network!
See newsletter for upcoming events under each of these sections
- Kids Run The Nation
- Marion Stedman Covington Foundation
- The 2020 TD Ready Challenge (deadline August 13)
- Highlands Community Fund