Michigan Community Action
MCA Weekly Update – July 20th
See newsletter for the full story on each of these items
Community Action mourns the passing of John Lewis
Congressman Lewis started his life of service as a young civil rights activist in the 1960s advocating for the rights of poor and black Americans. He encouraged multi-racial cooperation and understanding among those who would fight for social justice. We collectively mourn his passing. However, the passing of John Lewis
can be a time to renew or make a commitment to carry on his legacy through our work to support Community Action, work that is just as important now than ever was - learn more about the life of John Lewis from The New York Times: John Lewis, Towering Figure of Civil Rights Era, Dies at 80.
MCA's Virtual Summer Conference 2020, July 31 - August 14
The conference features 18 sessions over a period of six days - see the 2020 MCA Virtual Summer Conference Schedule. Participation is welcomed from other states - see the conference web page for more information.
- Online commencement event for MCA's Leadership Development Institute graduates, July 31
Graduates and guests will be addressed by Dr. Joyce Marter, renowned clinical psychologist, author, and motivational speaker and other special guest speakers.
- Community Action Partnership Award Nominations Deadline extended to July 24, 2020
- Call for Applications from Causality (July 31 deadline) - Full and matching grants for branding, creative services and web site design. Recent awards have ranged in value from $500 – $40,000. See FAQs for details.
Michigan Community Action is working with the MI Bureau of Community Action and Economic Opportunity to form a new work group, the Social and Racial Justice Team, chaired by FiveCAP Executive Director Mary Trucks. Over the next several months, members will study and ultimately make a set of recommendations for policy, business practice and legislative changes connected with the poverty, social and racial justice.
- Fundraising During Tough Times with Laura Huth-Rhoades, do Good Consulting, July 21
- PosiPower Ways to Serve Diverse "Baby-Boomers" and Elderly Customers with Jordana Shakoor, JYS Consultants, July 28
Follow MCA on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn