Also see: Special Editions of VirtualCAP RoundUP
Today's featured items
- CAAs: “Boot on the Ground” for $25M Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program
- COVID-19 Response to Ending Homelessness: “Time to Make this New Reality Permanent”
- Mobile Internet Access to Help with Job Search
- Life during the Pandemic: Newspaper Photo Essay on CAA Executive Director
- CAO Supports PBS Learn at Home for Pre-K to 12th Grade
- CAAs Taking ACTION in Response to COVID-19
Listing of featured items and links to previous blogs
Gov. Evers announces $25 million Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program
Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service - Milwaukee, WI – Gov. Tony Evers announced the launch of a $25 million Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program for Wisconsinites who have experienced income loss as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Administered by the Department of Administration (DOA), the Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program will provide direct financial assistance for owed rent, security deposits, and wrap around services for program eligible individuals...
DOA will partner with Wisconsin Community Action Program Association member agencies to accept applications from interested individuals and and distribute the rental assistance. “Collaborations with ‘boots-on-the-ground’ partner organizations will be critical to ensuring eligible Wisconsin residents are aware of this new program and are able to receive rental assistance relief quickly,” said DOA Secretary Joel Brennan...
- W.R.A.P. press release, WISCAP
- Statewide W.R.A.P. flyers, WI DOA
- Local CAA W.R.A.P. flyer, CAP Services
Coalition: Covid response launches plan for housing for all
VTDigger - Montpelier, VT – Letter sent to Vermont governor and legislative leaders by VCEH including CAA members: Capstone Community Action, CVOEO, NEKCA and SEVCA.
Homelessness has been stopped in its tracks in Vermont. As we write this, the vast majority of Vermonters experiencing homelessness are sheltered. This is an incredible achievement. What’s more incredible is the speed with which this was accomplished. We ask for your help in this unique moment in time to make this new reality permanent.
As Covid-19 advanced, shelter providers throughout Vermont worked closely with our State partners to establish and enact a plan that eventually led to over 2,000 Vermonters that were without housing, or who were precariously housed, being able to access local motel rooms. It is quite remarkable that a vision we have held for our state — that everyone has access to “housing” — has become a reality during this crisis. This need not be an anomaly…
- An opportunity to build a safer future, Valley News
- It is our turn to create a moral economy - and end homelessness, Brattleboro Reformer
- After Covid-19 crisis, where will homeless Vermonters go?, VTDigger
HRCAP providing internet access to help residents find employment
WAVY - Portsmouth, VA – Starting on Monday, the Hampton Roads Community Action Program will help residents in need gain access to the internet. The program is launching a mobile community resource bus as a place where people can come to use the internet for job searches.
Steven Brown, who is the director of workforce development for HRCAP, says it’s for people who don’t have access to WiFi at home…Residents must schedule an appointment and be at least 18 years old to be let on the bus. Brown says it can be used not only for job searches, but also for creating resumes and virtual job interviews…
HRCAP’s Mobile Internet Access
Video in WAVY news story
PHOTOS: Life as a leader during the pandemic - Jimmy Jones
Salem Reporter - Salem, OR – Salem Reporter is following key leaders - at a safe distance - to document this historic change in how these leaders are performing. In this installment, we follow Jimmy Jones of the Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency...
PHOTOS: Life as a leader during the pandemic - Jimmy Jones
Niagara Frontier Publications – The Community Action Organization of WNY has announced it is supporting Buffalo Toronto Public Media's PBS “Kids Learn at Home” programming schedule. With schools remaining closed for the foreseeable future due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, thousands of students will now have access to educational resources through WNED PBS Kids...
CEO of CAO, L. Nathan Hare said this partnership will help engage school-aged children, teachers and parents while schools are closed: “These programs are so valuable and range in topics and curriculum content. The broadcast schedule adheres to PBS standards, which teachers can trust. We are grateful our youth can take advantage of these educational resources during this time.”
…The initiative is underwritten in part by the CAO as a program sponsor. The programming content will cover STEM (science, technology, engineering, math), history (social studies, local, U.S., world), math, English language arts and the arts (visual, music, drama).
Learn at Home, Pre-K to 12th Grade
Buffalo-Toronto Public Media
CAAs Taking ACTION in Response to COVID-19 (5/19 edition)
- CAA Leadership with COVID-19 Community Relief Funds
- Support for Vets during the Pandemic: 3 SAs & 36 CAAs in 20 States
- State HFA Emergency Rental Assistance Programs
- Community Investment Partnership: Grants to Help Small Businesses Reopen
- Creative Fundraising to Help with Food & Nutrition
CAAs Taking ACTION in Response to COVID-19 (5/12 edition)
- Web Page & Flyer: Wayne Metro CARES Relief & Recovery Services
- $90K+ Raised through 55 Hour Fundraising Drive
- 24 Hours of Gratitude = 24 Quotes from CAA Staff
- NLIHC Funding to Vermont CAAs plus Resources on COVID-19 & Housing/Homelessness
- COVID-19 Small Business Emergency Relief Fund
- NPR Highlights Community Action’s Changing Terrain with COVID-19
- Maine CAAs Chosen by Governor to Run $5M COVID-19 Rent Relief Program
- KY State Association to Distribute $2M+ from Kentucky COVID-19 Fund
- CAA Creates COVID-19 Express Business Loan Fund
- Partnership with Delivery Service Using Volunteer Drivers
- Masks for the Masses Using Volunteers & Donated Material
- Service Delivery Using Drive-Through Access & Enclosed Office Suites
- Telephone Appointments to Help Fill Out the 2020 Census
- Financial Fitness Events using Facebook Live
- Drop-In Center Continues Services to the Homeless
- Three Types of Support for Food & Nutrition Assistance
- Call Center created through community collaboration
- Tech support to facilitate communication with staff
- Child care for medical workers and first responders
- Motels helping shelter the homeless
- CAA produces "Stay at Home" video