New York State Community Action Association
NYSCAA newsletter - March 2020
See newsletter for full story on each of these items
From NYSCAA CEO
Update on NYSCAA’s efforts addressing the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Growing up in poverty has no lasting effect on children.” – FALSE
Many believe in the outmoded idea that every American has an equal chance to succeed in life. In truth, poor children begin their journeys at high risk for physical, social, emotional and behavioral problems attributed to lack of nutrition, physical stimulation and/or emotional development. Those challenges can be difficult to overcome as children grow up and attempt to break the cycle of poverty – read more about commonly misrepresented poverty myths.
- New York State 2020 Poverty Report
- State and federal resources and tech resources to support work during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Community Action Partnership for Dutchess County – Awarded a $88,479 Senior Corps grant through the AmeriCorps’s Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
- Westchester Community Opportunity Program – Appeared on NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. Members of the National Guard arrived in New Rochelle, New York, to help distribute food at New Rochelle Community Action Program, which is one of several WestCOP locations in Westchester County.
- 2020 Census Operational Adjustments Due to COVID-19
- The 2020 Census is Live!
- 2020 Census Response Rate Map Preview Now Available
- Census 2020 webpage, Community Action Partnership
- National Partner Resources on COVID-19
- National Community Action Foundation (NCAF) Conference Postponed
- CAPLAW Policies in Practice Webinar Series: Procurement Policy, April 30 – Record Retention Policy, June 4
- New York State of Health - Special Enrollment Period Through April 15th for Uninsured Individuals
- Health Coverage Options Available for New Yorker's, New York State of Health
- State of New York's Children, Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy
- American Way of School Funding is 'Uniquely Bad' for Inequality, Bloomberg Businessweek
- 2020 Statewide Conference Update and Upcoming Webinars, Low Income Forum on Energy (LIFE)
- Shouldering the Strain: How Counties Cope with Inadequate Child Care Funding, Empire Justice Center
- Form W-4 &Tax Withholding Estimator, Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Nonprofit Resources for Remote Work During the COVID-19 Outbreak, TechSoup
See newsletter for listings