Southeastern Association of Community Action Agencies
Spotlight on Community Action – August 2019
See newsletter for complete stories
Jimmie Samuel Day of Service – BRING Winter Gloves, Hats, Scarves, and Coats to Conference and Help Others "Rise Above the Storm"
2019 SEACAA Awards will be presented at the conference
- Lonnie D. Burton Achievement Award
- Carl D. Perkins Human Service Award
- William "Sonny" Walker Self-Sufficiency Award
HI-5 (Health Impact in 5 years) has approaches to improve the places where we live, learn, work and play. HI-5 can help achieve health outcomes in your community in 5 years or less, providing good economic value for the investment.
Melissa Hurst, was in a bind. With three children and her husband newly laid off, she was faced with figuring out how to quickly help support her family—there was just one problem. As a long-time stay-at-home mom with no high school diploma or GED, her options were almost nonexistent in her small-town. With the assistance of the KCEOC and the Paths 2 Promise (P2P) program, Hurst was able to turn her life around – read the full story.
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is rarely discussed in public forums, even though healthy connection to others is an integral part of healing. This site is a support community for those who have undergone prolonged trauma and came out the other side alive and kicking, but with wounds that need tending. This is also a place for friends and family of the victims to come for support.
Enroll in one of our Executive Leaders web-based Certification programs – Human Resources, Executive/Deputy Director, Finance Professional
Dr. Joyce Dorsey, President /CEO of Fulton Atlanta Community Action Authority in GA, offers some insight on this topic in her 3-part Op-Ed.
If Poverty Cannot be Reduced, What Else Can Community Action Do?
The Psychology of being poor: Single Parenthood, Part 2
Dr. Donna Beegle's book, See Poverty, Be The Difference (2007), is cited as one demonstration of how relevant this topic must be. In her book she points out the realities one faces through the lens of direct experience, having grown up in dire poverty, herself.
- NEW Executive Administrators Meet Up at Orientation During Conference
- Two Nashville Agencies Receive Combined $1,000,000 from Kresge Foundation
- Partnership Opps SEACAA Sponsorships, Ads & Exhibitors for 2019
- Ryan’s Place Safe Haven Opens for Homeless Youth in KY Who Are Trying to Get on Their Feet
- NCCAA & New Grounds Our NEW Grounds© Brand Ambassador hosted a webinar in July discussing the coffee and ways in which you can gain unrestricted funding for your agency – webinar recording
- Pamela S. Sims, CCAP is the new President/CEO of SHARE, a community action agency in South Carolina
- August 25-31 is Be Kind to Humankind Week: see newsletter for "7 Effective Ways to Make Others Feel Important"
See newsletter for listing of events