Missouri Community Action Network
Missouri CAN Network Connection – March 2019
See newsletter for the full story on each of these items
See newsletter for message from Missouri CAN’s executive director with insights on the efforts of Missouri CAN staff in developing state legislative advocacy positions.
Advocacy - A voice for low-income Missourians
Developing Movement Makers: 2019 Network Advocacy Day
Missouri CAN’s 2019 Advocacy Day
March 26 at the Capitol Building in Jefferson City, MO
This year’s theme is Developing Movement Makers
- Morning rally in the rotunda of the capitol building, followed by exhibits from CAAs on the third floor of the capitol and agency visits with state legislators
- Rally will feature keynote speaker Tara Raghuveer, an organizer and researcher whose work has focused on housing, immigration, and voting rights. A Kansas City native, Tara has studied eviction in the five-county KC metro area for five year…
Legislative Action Related to the Five Elements of Poverty
The 1st session of the 100th Missouri General Assembly began on January 9 and is in full swing. See how Missouri CAN has already taken action on critical legislation related to Food and Nutrition, as well as Economic Security, Housing and Energy, and Education.
A bill to establish an Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) has once again been filed, and Missouri CAN recently testified in support of this bill. HB 291 was voted out of committee in late February and is now awaiting official scheduling on the House calendar.
2019 Missouri CAN Annual Conference
May 21-23 in Kansas City, MO
Keynote speakers: Doug Luffborough and Mark Shriver, author and son of Sargent Shriver
See conference web page for conference schedule, sponsor/exhibitor information and more!
- Missouri CAN’s Outstanding Community Service Awards will honoring volunteers, community partners, donors and all other outstanding community service persons at its upcoming Annual Conference
- Poverty Simulation Facilitator Training, July 22-23 in Springfield, MO
- History of Community Action (online Moodle course), Missouri CAN University
Featured Items (see newsletter for details)
- Two new Missouri CAN staff members: Anne Bloemke, SkillUP Project Manager and Kathy Cebuhar, Accounting Assistant
- Upcoming Events
- Agency Visits