Illinois Association of Community Action Agencies
IACAA News – January 2019
See newsletter for the full story on each of these items
See newsletter for message from Frankie Atwater Sr.
Along with our signature events, we have some great keynote speakers lined up and five (5) exciting conference tracks that speak to our commitment to becoming Agents of Change:
- Strategy – Lobbying and Advocacy, On-boarding New Board Members, Strategic Planning
- Local Solutions – Fundraising Development, Organizational Standards and Customer Service
- Systematic Support – Leadership, Fiscal Training
- Mission Connection – Cultural Competency, Self-care, Collaboration and Partnerships, Local Theory of Change
- Energy – Devoted to the needs of LIHEAP, PIPP and Weatherization program staff
What is a CAP talk?
Modeled on the popular TED Talks, CAP Talk is an opportunity to spread innovation, excellent practices and the success of Community Action. This will be a structured general session during the IACAA Annual Conference, lasting between 5 to 15 minutes per agency that will describe a result-based idea/program/initiative that is worth sharing and spreading…
Check out this great example of a brief TED TALK by DeAndrea Salvador on How We Can Make Energy More Affordable for Low-Income Families.
Tools and resources
- Nomination Form
- Families of Distinction Story Telling Basics (IACAA/DCEO webinar presentation)
- Example narratives from Illinois CAAs
IACAA is collecting CAA staffing and program information to update the IACAA directory and to create a database of agency programming
- ROMA training to meet CSBG Organizational Standard 7.9
- Board Governance training can be customized to fit into a standing meeting or done in retreat style
- New Family and Community Development Specialist – IACAA is currently scheduling FCD Specialist training and anticipate some curriculum changes that will enhance our collective capacity to work effectively with our Community Action customers.