Community Action Partnership of Oregon
CAPO newsletter – January/February 2018
See newsletter for full story on each of these items
Seventeen Veterans are out of the cold, just in time for Christmas, thanks to a new housing development in Medford - ACCESS's Victory Place, a 17-unit affordable Housing complex for Veterans – read full article.
What Makes a Good Board Member?
While all effective board members understand and meet their basic responsibilities, truly exceptional board members do more. In addition to highlighting important behaviors to avoid, this resource outlines six characteristics of good board members.
OPB's Think Out Loud program interviews Community Action Executive Director
Community Action Executive Director Renee Bruce was interviewed on Oregon Public Broadcasting's Think Out Loud last month. Renee discussed an ordinance being considered by the City of Beaverton that would prohibit people from sleeping in their vehicles on city streets in an effort to reduce homelessness. She addressed how this would not help those dealing with homelessness, and in fact, would increase the hardships these people already face.
Upcoming Spring Training Dates
- Consumer Input and Involvement in Agency Leadership (webinar), March 21
- Developing a Strategic Plan from your Community Needs Assessment, April 26
- Financial Training for Community Action Agencies, May 9th
- Family Development, May 23 & 24
Stand for Your Mission Awards: Apply now
This award has been created to recognize the critical role that nonprofit boards play in advocating for their organization's mission. There is a $5,000 cash award for boards that have established advocacy as a board responsibility and are helping their organizations set priorities in partnership with local, state, or federal policymakers – Stand for Your Mission Awards (Jan. 26 deadline), BoardSource.
See newsletter for more info on:
- Oregon Veteran Services Grant Program: Request for Grant Proposals
- 20th Annual Oregon Fair Housing Poster Contest
- National CAP Launching Learning Community
- United Communities AmeriCorps Advisory Committee
- Bringing awareness of the Earned Income Tax Credit – UCAN, The Ford Family Foundation, RSVP, AmeriCorps, and AARP TAX Aide
- Nonprofit Technology Conference, April 11-13 in New Orleans, LA
- National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference, February 25-27 in Washington, D.C.
- CAPO Calendar
- Grant Info
- Training Opportunities
- Job Openings