North Carolina Community Action Association
sNC Empowered – October/November 2017
See newsletter for complete articles
More Thoughts about Hunger and Poverty on Thanksgiving
In their article, Thinking About Hunger and Poverty on Thanksgiving, scholars from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health reflect on the health consequences of food insecurity and poverty experienced by millions of Americans – see newsletter for additional research findings plus information on Food Policy and Obesity from the Mailman School and A Thanksgiving Prayer to End Poverty in Our Time by Marian Wright Edelman...
NCCAA Holiday Shopping Ideas
Finished shopping for everyone on your list?...if not, look no further than NCCAA for some great ideas – and support the network’s Holy Cow campaign with your online purchase...Oh, and let’s not miss our NEW Grounds – “fresh roasted coffee with a purpose.” Proceeds support the NEW Reentry Program.
Speaking of Reentry
Hundreds of thousands of people released from prisons and jails each year face daunting obstacles to successful reentry into their communities. MDRC is testing a range of interventions designed to reduce recidivism and improve outcomes for those leaving incarceration.
- Mr. Melvin Williams is the new Director for the NC Office of Economic Opportunity, DHHS (see newsletter for bio and priorities for OEO)
- Rosanne Teniente has joined NC OEO as a CSBG Program Analyst
- SCFS Executive Director Receives Regional Recognition
- ECHSA Making Headlines for Veteran Support
- Central Piedmont Hosts Weatherization Day Event
- ESR Hosts Day of Service for Annual Meeting
- Wheels4Hope – Key to New Car and Future for Terrance Johnson
- NCCAA Calendar featuring upcoming training events