Arizona Community Action Association
2017 Annual Conference
July 27-28 in Scottsdale, AZ
Join ACAA as we celebrate our 50th Anniversary! Our theme this year is "Our History, Our Path Forward." 2017 marks fifty years of service to low-income and vulnerable Arizonans, advocating for change, and educating our leaders and communities about poverty. Building on our legacy and achievements, we begin the journey of our next 50 years focusing on creating economic equity and ensuring the systems, tools, and opportunities available to some of us are available to all of us so we may achieve our vision of an Arizona Where All May Thrive!
Billie K. Fidlin, Director of Outreach, Desert Southwest Conference of the United Methodist Church
Noted speaker, vocalist, social justice advocate, and author. As Director of Outreach and Justice for the Desert Southwest Conference, Ms. Fidlin serves as liaison for 49 areas related to social justice, mission, and leadership. For her work with the poor and gang members, she was awarded the global honor of Distinguished Evangelist 2004, the first lay person and the first woman to receive this award.
Fifteen individuals will be recognized in these award categories:
- Leadership Award Recipients (5)
Beating the Odds Award, Margie Frost Champion Against Poverty Award, President's Award, and Legislative Leadership Award
- Heart in Hand Award Recipients (10)
More than 20 workshops are being offered – session descriptions and speaker bios.
Thursday, July 27
- Expectations for Federal and State Support for Health and Human Services
- "What Was I Thinking" - Case Notes 101
- Reducing Recidivism: State and Local Strategies, Challenges, and Results
- Restore Your Emotional and Physical Health with Yoga!
- Women in Orange
- To Run or Not to Run: That Is the Question?
- Arizona State of Immigration
- APS Energy Update - Renewables, Clean Energy, and You
- Innovative Strategies that Foster Resilient Communities
- Women in Arizona: Health, Safety, and Economic Opportunity
- Dealing With Debt
- Voting Counts!
- Alternative Loan Solutions
Friday, July 28
- Refugee 101, Welcoming New Americans
- Legislative Advocacy
- Creating a Welcoming Space for Clients and Staff
- Team Building - Boosting Collaboration and Creativity
- Employer Resource Networks: A New Strategy to Engage Employers And Help Under-Resourced Employees Keep Their Jobs
- Art with Intention: Mindfully Caring for Yourself Through Creativity
- Going Paperless
- Organizing for Leadership and Community Building