Connecticut Association for Community Action
CAFCA Connections – March 28, 2017
See newsletter for full article on each of these stories
Community Action Day held to advocate for critical state and federal funding
Over 200 Community Action Agency (CAA) Network staff, board members, and customers came together at the Legislative Office Building (LOB) on March 23rd to oppose the Governor's 20% reduction in Human Services Infrastructure (HSI)-Community Action Program (CAP) funding and the President's budget proposal...see CAFCA press release.
Featuring CAFCA leaders, state legislators and testimonials by former CAA participants
CT Community Action Leaders go to Washington!
Earlier this month, Community Action leaders from across the Connecticut attended the 2017 National Community Action Foundation (NCAF) Legislative Conference in Washington, DC...
Community Action Highlights
- DeLauro visits TEAM offices in Derby, discusses proposed heating assistance cuts (Patricia Villers, Valley Voice, 3/27/17)
- Executive Director: HRA-BCO merger is going well (Scott Whipple, New Britain Herald, 3/16/17)
- City in running for major job grant (Rob Ryser, Danbury News Times, 3/15/17)
- HRA program fast-tracks city couple to self-sufficiency (Christopher Fortier, New Britain Herald, 2/27/17)
Check It Out – Items of Interest
- Republicans looking for cost-saving ideas (Christopher Keating, Courant, 3/17/17)
- Malloy underlines his priorities (Christine Stuart, CT News Junkie, 3/21/17)
- Malloy says budget in balance, despite nonpartisan warning (Keith Phaneuf, CT Mirror, 3/20/17)
- Trump's move to end heating aid also would trim food stamps for many (Ana Radelat, CT Mirror, 3/17/17)
- Trump budget blue print gives and takes from Connecticut (Russell Blair, Courant, 3/16/17)
- A day in the life of a poor person under Trump's proposed budget (Phillip Bump, Courant, 3/16/17)
TEAM's 10th Men Who Cook – The evening will consist of a silent auction, a raffle for a Caribbean vacation, music, and fifty food stations of dishes prepared by 90+ male volunteer chefs – more info.
TVCCA's Carnevale Benefit for Meals on Wheels – The Thames Valley Council for Community Action (TVCCA) will host its 7th annual Carnevale Annual Benefit for Meals on Wheels on Saturday, May 20th – more info.
See newsletter for listing