New York State Community Action Association
11th Annual Symposium on Poverty & Economic Security
March 29, 2017 in Troy, NY
Join us for our 11th Annual Symposium on Poverty & Economic Security. We welcome back our conference partners; Hunger Solutions NY, Fiscal Policy Institute, Empire Justice Center and the Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy for an event filled with educational topics.
Tuesday, March 28
Tour of CEO facilities
Reception - Receive a complimentary copy of one of our keynote speaker’s books – Closing the Food Gap or Food Rebels, Guerrilla Gardeners and Smart Cookin' Mamas.
Wednesday, March 29
Mark Winne, Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future
The Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future works with students, educators, researchers, policymakers, advocacy organizations and communities to build a healthier, more equitable, and resilient food system.
- Public Assistance Eligibility & the Asset Rules Update
- SNAP Time Limit for ABAWD’s Update
- Home Visiting: A Proven Investment to Strengthen Families Panel
- Child Care Development Block Grant Update
Barbara Nelson, Breathing Lights
Breathing Lights was a temporary public art installation this past October & November locally; it illuminated the windows of hundreds of vacant homes in the cities of Albany, Schenectady and Troy. Their goal is to create an evocative inclusive experience that transforms the perceptions of vacant buildings and showcases an art-based approach to stimulating local and regional revitalization.
- Presentation on TANF at 20: Where Are They Now/Where Are We Heading?
- Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative Panel
- Preserving Medicaid for Health and Family Economic Security Panel