Connecticut Association for Community Action
CAFCA Connections – February 17, 2017
See newsletter for full article on each of these stories
CT CAA Network testifies at Appropriations Committee public hearing on Governor's budget
Deborah Monahan, Executive Director of the Thames Valley Council for Community Action (TVCCA) and Chair of the Connecticut Association for Community Action (CAFCA), and Amos Smith, President and CEO of the Community Action Agency of New Haven (CAANH) and Vice Chair of CAFCA, testified yesterday evening at the Appropriations Committee public hearing on the Governor's proposed FY 2018-2019 budget...
Save the Date!
Community Action Day – March 23rd in Hartford, CT
Community Action Highlights
- CRT celebrates "National School Choice Week"
- Army veteran from Killingworth to receive overdue medals in Norwich (The Day, 1/24/17)
The Thames Valley Council for Community Action's (TVCCA) Norwich RSVP Veterans Coffeehouse was honored to host a ceremony for this Army veteran who flew more than 1,000 combat hours in just a year during the Vietnam War...
- E.O. Smith VO-AG Department donates 80 lbs of chicken to Access Community Action Agency Food Bank (Access Agency, 1/19/17)
Check It Out – Items of Interest
- Deep cuts to senior nutrition program felt throughout Middlesex County (Cassandra Day, The Middletown Press, 2/13/17)
- Legislators begin to push back on Malloy's budget (Keith M. Phaneuf, CT Mirror, 2/10/17)
- 'In This Together': Unions, hospitals, cities and towns impacted by Malloy budget proposal (Christopher Keating, Hartford Courant, 2/8/17)
- Malloy moves to narrow gap between rich and poor in Connecticut schools (Elizabeth A. Harris, NY Times, 2/8/17)
- Why so many children live in poverty in Fairfield County (Sophia Tewa, CT Post, 2/8/17)
- This is your brain on poverty (Karen Weese, Pacific Standard Magazine, January/February 2017 Issue)
- Investment in low-income kids pays off later (Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, 1/25/17)
TEAM's 10th Men Who Cook – The evening will consist of a silent auction, a raffle for a Caribbean vacation, music, and fifty food stations of dishes prepared by 90+ male volunteer chefs – more info.
TVCCA's Carnevale Benefit for Meals on Wheels – The Thames Valley Council for Community Action (TVCCA) will host its 7th annual Carnevale Annual Benefit for Meals on Wheels on Saturday, May 20th – more info.
See newsletter for listing