Missouri Association for Community Action
sMissouri CAN Network Connection – 2016 Year in Review
See newsletter for the full article on each item
Missouri CAN Vision: A state where all people and communities thrive.
Missouri CAN Mission: To advocate for low-income Missourians and
strengthen the Community Action Network
Strategic Commitment 1: Advocacy
To be an effective advocate in policy and program development to positively impact low-income Missourians and the Community Action Network
This session we tracked nearly 70 bills that would impact low-income families and Community Action programs and services. We also focused on several specific pieces of legislation within the five elements of poverty:
- Housing & Energy
- Family & Economic Security
2016 State of the State of Poverty Report
In partnership with the Missourians to End Poverty coalition, Missouri CAN released the 2016 State of the State of Poverty Report...highlighted the latest data around the 5 elements of poverty. The report was downloaded more than 1,600 times from the Missouri CAN website.
- National Advocacy
- 2016 Missouri Poverty Summit
- Building Relationships
Strategic Commitment 2: Network Capacity
To increase the capacity of the individuals and agencies of the Missouri Community Action Network
Training and Professional Development
All 19 Missouri Community Action Agencies participated in training opportunities this past year, resulting in over 2,700 trained in 2016. In addition, Missouri CAN has enhanced or added various technology platforms for training communication and resources – see report for some of the training highlights.
- Annual Conference
- MIS Training and Technical Assistance
- MIS RFP and Vendor Selection for Adsystech Version 6
Strategic Commitment 3: Missouri CAN Capacity
To further develop Missouri CAN as an effective statewide organizations
Missouri CAN Name
Missouri Association for Community Action unveiled the new name Missouri Community
Action Network or Missouri CAN at the 2016 Missouri CAN Conference! This new identity helps communicate our Community Action movement. The Missouri “CAN” acronym empowers us to speak with a unified voice that together, Missouri CAN thrive. Missouri agencies have the option and support to co-brand and elevate Community Action’s statewide reach and local impact – view the Missouri CAN video.
- Membership with 1,015 Missouri CAN members.
- Missouri CAN Network Day at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City with nearly 1,000 Missouri CAN Network employees and families enjoying discounted tickets.
- Poverty Simulation – This year alone 200 full Poverty Simulation kits were sold. Two Poverty Simulation trainings were conducted for more than 215 new facilitators from across the country.
- Missouri CAN Run to raise awareness of poverty with more than 90 runners registering.
- Missouri CAN Financials with a clean annual audit and no findings of any kind.
Together, Missouri CAN thrive!