North Carolina Community Action Association
See newsletter for complete articles
You Are Born Choosers!
“You are not born winners or losers; you are born choosers!”…………these are the words of Shawn Harper, the keynote speaker for the SEACAA 2016 Annual Conference, People, Performance and Partnerships, coming up September 13-16 in Myrtle Beach, SC. His is a true rags-to-riches fairytale and living proof that anyone can win in business and in life…
More about the SEACAA Conference
A FREE one-day preconference workshop, “High Involvement Teams” is also being planned at the beginning of the conference on Tuesday as an introduction to the SEACAA Certification Program.
Happy Home.....Happy Life
The PNC Healthy Housing & Energy Neighborhood Beautification Improvement Program has launched and is making a tremendous difference for homeowners in area communities…
Yadkin Valley Economic Development District, Inc.
Waiting List Eliminated by Walking Waggles 5K
Donna McLamb, DVM was presented with a certificate of appreciation and recognition at the YVEDDI June Board Meeting for her lasting contributions to the success of the agency’s 5K/10K fundraiser event...She took the home-bound meal waiting list seriously as her own personal mission. With her efforts, the waiting list for home- bound in Surry County has been eliminated. This year’s race brought in almost $16,000 to date…
Blue Ridge Community Action Attacks Poverty
“Poverty is a mindset.”~ Pastor Travis McEntire
Travis McEntire agrees that rising out of poverty is not an easy thing to do, but with some guidance, training and a roadmap tailored to specific needs it can be done. McEntire has been in the ministry for 20 years and has worked with Blue Ridge Community Action, for the past three years – see newsletter for more from article appearing in The Daily Courier.
ROMA Trainer Candidates Make Progress!
NC’s ROMA Trainer Candidates are making steady progress toward be- coming Nationally Certified ROMA Trainers! The cohort successfully completed the second Phase of the Peer-to-Peer Certification Process…
Community Action Loses a “Sonny” Leader
An influential force for a host of causes, such as integrating schools, making Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a state and national holiday, and founding one of the first Head Start education programs, William “Sonny” Walker, died on June 14 after a brief illness…
William ‘Sonny’ Walker, 82: Lifelong advocate for civil rights, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The MOOvement has Begun
Holy Cow Tee shirts can be purchased for $15 + shipping from the NCCAA. Baseball caps are also available for $10 each – email to request these items..
Other Items of Interest
- Agency Highlight: Eastern Carolina is on the MOOve – Creating a Better Future
- Coastal Community Action: Building Bridges and Making Connections
- Agency Updates
- Wendy Covington, Executive Director of Alamance County Community Services Agency to retire at end of July
- Patricia Beier, former Director of WAGES Children & Families Division, President of the NC Head Start Association, has been named as the new Executive Director for WAGES
- Eastern Carolina Human Service Agency Inc., (ECHSA) in Jacksonville, NC has a temporary new address – The agency has set up a gofundme.com page to support the costs associated with their sudden move.
- Meghana Mettu, joins the NCCAA Team as a Summer Intern
- Agency Happenings
- ESR and Forsyth County Public Library Co-Host Summer Movie Series
- ESR Hosts Stomp Out Poverty: Yard Sale Edition
- AT&T Partners with NCCAA with launch of the AT&T Access program that provides low-cost internet service to eligible low-income customers…
- Virtual CAP: Go-To Resource at your fingertips – register for 30-minutes webinar being held on August 9th: NCCAA Member Benefit: VirtualCAP RoundUP.