Community Action Association of Pennsylvania
See newsletter for full story on each of these items
Harry L. Adrian Jr.
With heavy hearts, Union-Snyder Community Action Agency announced in late-December the passing of Harry L. Adrian Jr., Executive Director of Union-Snyder CAA…
- The Legislative Budget and Finance Committee completed their Study of Family Work Support Programs (Cliff Effect Study) in December 2015 – report summary – full report. It is a very thorough, scholarly, and well researched report that aligns well with Community Action’s view (generally speaking) of how public benefits and tax credit programs work in concert to help ensure that low-income families are better off when the parent(s) goes to work, accepts a raise, or increases his/her hours.
- The content of the Child Care Cliff Bill (formerly HB 1164) became part of the welfare code amendment bill signed into law as Act 92 on December 28 – bill summary.
- The Keystone Education Yields Success Program (KEYS) encourages and assists TANF and a limited number of SNAP parents in enrolling in and completing community college programs. KEYS provides career mentoring, tutoring, academic support, and additional supportive services for students who are coming out of lives in poverty…
- Congress reauthorized the Workforce Investment Act, which funds the Workforce Investment Boards and CareerLink offices in PA, in a new law known as WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act)…
CAAP Annual Conference
The 2016 CAAP Annual Conference will be held from April 20-21 in Harrisburg, PA – more info.
Three Useful Tools for Survey Research… and they’re free
- Community Commons
- The Pennsylvania State Data Center (PaSDC) Dashboards
- Pennsylvania Criminal Justice Advisory Board Data Dashboards
BECAUSE OF YOU – South Central Community Action Partnership’s Year-End Video
SCCAP produced a wonderful video to thank all of those who supported their community work throughout 2015 – view video.
Community Development Program of Beaver County
The Community Development Program of Beaver County provides funding to social service agencies with missions that focus on holistic, and sometimes unique, approaches to recognizing needs and promoting and facilitating solutions to those needs. One of the organizations that Community Development Program of Beaver Co. works with, Tiger Pause Youth Ministry, has had substantial success in its service and commitment to their county’s youth…CAAP VISTA Program.
Volunteers In Service To America (VISTA)
Currently there are seven VISTAs serving throughout the Commonwealth. These VISTAs are all managing six continuing projects: Decades to Doorways Faith Based (Chester County Dept. of Community Development), CIRCLES-Pittsburgh (2), Data Base Technology (Susquehanna Co. Interfaith), Veterans Resources Guide (CAP-Mercer County), Capacity Courts (CASA of Lancaster Co.), and Food Access (Berwick Area United Way). Last week, the VITSAs were busy preparing for their mandatory Martin Luther King Day of Service…
Temple University-Harrisburg recently announced their Strengths-Based Symposium [June 16, 2016]. The symposium will provide a unique cross-roads for help-givers from various disciplines to connect and explore strengths-based approaches providing opportunities for growth and inspiration – more info.