This is the second in a series of Virtual CAP news feeds, which can be used to support your agency’s efforts in relation to risk mitigation and meeting the CSBG Organizational Standards – full listing of Community Action Risk Mitigation Blogs.
Getting Your Community Action Agency
Board of Directors to the Table,
Engaged, and Motivated
Webinar recording (1 hour)
Presenter: Meghan Johnston, Meghan Johnston and Associates, LLC
Valuable resource for CAA Boards and executive directors looking to maximize board participation and increase board effectiveness.
- Find and welcome the best candidates
- Motivate board members to attend and actively participate in meetings
- Organize committees that get the work of the board done AND build the strength of the board as a whole, and
- Develop leadership habits and routines that help the board establish and maintain a culture of momentum and contribution.
- Strategies to attract, cultivate, recruit and engage board members
- Tools to organize the practical work of the board and its committees
- Strategies for board assessment, recruitment, and orientation
- Leadership roles and routines that keep the board moving
More Board Resources
Go to the Resource Bank at the top of CSBG Training and Technical Assistance Resource Center and then search for Governance under CSBG T/A Request Need. There are more than 100 items to help you build an effective board. Here are several covering a wide array of important governance areas:
- National Update on CSBG Organizational Standards (IM 138) –Webinar, January 30, 2015
- IM 138: State Establishment of CSBG Organizational Standards [note: Category Five covers Board Governance]
- Webinar recording (September 11, 2015 national update0
- Webinar slides
- T/A Guide: Organizational Leadership – Standard 1.3 Board Structure and Function under Community Action Award for Excellence
- Tools for Top-Notch CAAs: A Practical Approach to Governance and Financial Excellence – CAPLAW
- Striving for Excellence: An Annotated Resource Guide for CAA Boards – Meliora Partners, Inc.
- Community Action Agency Board Self-Assessment – Indiana Community Action Association
This publication was created by the National Association of Community Action Agencies – Community Action Partnership, in the performance of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0428. Any opinion, findings, and conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families.